Wood Private Home Care (WPHC) goes the extra mile to assure safety for seniors on multiple levels. It starts with a home walk-through audit on our first visit.
In addition, safety is something that is always on the minds of our home aides.
Safety for seniors … constant attention
This constant attention to safety for seniors helps assure the safety of each senior client. And we leave no stone unturned by acting to immediately fix issues that are under our control. In addition, we call your attention to those issues that are not in our control.
The following home safety tips can help keep you and your loved ones safe:
- Consider a medical alert or a buddy system.
- Keep a fire extinguisher and smoke detector on every floor.
- Never smoke when alone or in bed.
- Always get up slowly after sitting or lying down. Take your time, and make sure you have your balance.
- Wear properly fitting shoes with low heels.
- Use a correctly measured walking aid.
- Remove or tack down all scatter rugs.
- Remove electrical or telephone cords from traffic areas.
- Avoid using slippery wax on floors.
- Wipe up spills promptly.
- Avoid standing on ladders or chairs.
- Have sturdy rails for all stairs inside and outside the house, or, if necessary, purchase a stairlift.
- Use only non-glare 100 watt or greater incandescent bulbs (or the fluorescent equivalents.)
- Make sure that all staircases have good lighting with switches at top and bottom.
- Make sure that staircase steps should have a non-slip surface.
WPHC will offer recommendations on making the senior’s home changes as required.
Through attention to safety details, our home aides promote the physical, mental, emotional and nutritional health of seniors. Enhancing their health and well-being, this care reduces seniors’ risk of illness and falls.
Our experience in creating and maintaining safe homes helps seniors’ families immensely. We accomplish this help by offering guidance on how to make a home safer. In addition, we continually accommodate the physical changes that naturally come with aging.